Parish Nurse Ministry
Prairie Faith Shared Ministry has developed a new ministry to meet the needs of our congregations and community—The Parish Nurse Ministry. The goals of an PNM is the protection, promotion, and optimization of health and abilities; the prevention of illness and injury; and the alleviation of suffering in the context of the values, beliefs and practices of the faith community. The PNM uses the nursing process to address the spiritual, physical, mental, and social health of the parishioner/healthcare consumer.
The parish nurse ministry serves the community, regardless of any church affiliation. Feel free to call or email to: schedule a confidential appointment to discuss your health/wellness questions, schedule transportation to a medical/dental/counseling appointment if you need a ride, request a prayer shawl for someone in the community going through a difficult time, locate community health resources, request other parish nurse work, or discuss your ideas for the health ministry.
The Parish Nurse Ministry is there to provide for the health needs in cooperation with other health professionals. It is important for all to understand that a PNM does not replace any existing service or support group or agency. We are not their competition. Our role is referral and filling in the gaps. Such as:
Your parish nurse is available to walk alongside you to:
- Understand your diagnosis and your doctor’s plan for your health care.
- Understand how your medications work and possible side effects.
- Prepare for your doctor’s appointment–or come to the appointment with you as an extra set of ears and to take notes for you.
- Provide support and provide education about healthy lifestyle changes.
- Locate community resources when you need some extra help.
- Check your blood pressure and provide basic nursing assessment if you have concerns.
- Assist in conversations around end-of-life care and other health care decisions.
- Provide intentional care of the spirit while supporting whole-person health and wellness.
A parish nurse does NOT:
- Replace home health or public health nursing care.
- Replace existing community resources.
- Replace pastoral care.
- Provide invasive nursing actions or procedures.
- Give medical advice or administer medications.
© Call the church at 785-743-2005 and leave a message to schedule a confidential appointment time or email: email@example.com